With the 2013 season-opening game against Nicholls State now less than a week away, the Oregon Ducks began game-week preparations for the Colonels in earnest on Saturday.
“We’re full speed on Nicholls State," Helfrich said. "Kind of a rudimentary install for our base game planning on both sides of the ball and special teams.”
When asked whether they were game-planning specifically for Nicholls State, Helfrich affirmed that indeed the fall camp practice format had gone by the wayside.
“We’re definitely in game week mode," Helfrich said. "We’re in scout teams and everybody’s out there simulating their offenses and defenses as best we can predict.”
Helfrich also released some depth chart information to the assembled media on Saturday, with a full two-deep expected to be released on Monday.
“There’s...in our situation, a bunch of ‘or,'" Helfrich said. "A bunch of ongoing competition and a bunch of guys that will play hopefully a lot of football for us throughout the year.”
Helfrich also gave insight on which freshmen will play and which the team plans, or hopes to redshirt this season. In lieu of making a long-winded list, I'm going to bullet-point all the roster information below:
• Freshmen whom Oregon plans to play right away this season: RB Thomas Tyner, TE Johnny Mundt, LB Tyrell Robinson, DE/LB Torrodney Prevot, K Matt Wogan
• Freshmen whom Oregon plans to redshirt barring unforeseen circumstances: WR Darren Carrington, QB Damion Hobbs, QB Taylor Allie, OL Elijah George, DB Tyree Robinson, DB Chris Seisay, OL Doug Brenner, OL Evan Voeller
• Freshmen whom Oregon is planning to redshirt at this point, but could potentially play later the season: WR Devon Allen, OL Cameron Hunt, OL Jake Pisarcik, RB Kani Benoit. LB Danny Mattingly and DB Juwaan Williams’ plans are unknown.
• Jeff Lockie is ahead of Jake Rodrigues for the backup quarterback position, though Helfrich said that was still a very close and fluid position.
• Alejandro Maldonado beat out Dylan Ausherman for the starting punting job. No word yet as to who the placekicker or kickoff specialist will be.
• Mana Grieg and Hamani Stevens will start at guard, replacing Kyle Long and Ryan Clanton.
• Oshay Dunmore has indeed moved to outside linebacker, and along with Tyson Coleman will be a primary backup at that position this season.
Already have an account? Sign In