Oregon beat UCLA 76-67 Saturday afternoon and the Ducks not only won in a place historically tough to play in, but did it on a national stage. Here is what the nation said following Oregon's important road win on Sunday and Monday:
Carlos Emory swings a pass to Dominic Artis
- After getting a sweep down in LA the Ducks enter this week ranked in both the AP and the USA Today Coaches' poll. Oregon moved all the way up to No. 16 in the AP poll. For the first time this season Oregon is also ranked in the coaches poll at No. 19.
- Oregon's nine point victory was the largest win inside Pauley Pavilion since 1975-76 when a Dick Harter coached team went into Pauley and beat the Bruins 76-46. It's been a long time since Oregon was able to win so convincingly in that historic building.
- CBSSports.com contributor and CBS Sports Broadcaster Doug Gottlieb was on the TV broadcast Saturday. Saturday evening he posted five reasons why Oregon beat the Bruins. Gottlieb cited Oregon's inside advantage and the play of Damyean Dotson among other reasons.
- [link url="http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/basketball/la-sp-0120-ucla-oregon-20130120,0,6561555,full.story"]Chris Foster of the LA Times on Sunday called Oregon a tougher basketball team than the UCLA Bruins. UCLA head coach also said the Ducks were a tougher and more scrappy team, "I thought they were really tough and very scrappy." Strange words to be spoken when you are talking Oregon and UCLA. History tells us the roles normally are reversed and the Ducks are the smaller team hoping to out-shoot the Bruins. Instead this season circumstances have changed.
- Rob Dauster of NBCSports.com believes the Ducks are now in the driver seat of the Pac-12.Dauster credits Oregon's ability to not only have the record to back up their claim to No. 1 but also their balance with five players averaging double-figures. Dauster calls Oregon's front line the deepest and most versatile in the Pac-12. Dauster also says Oregon's defensive play is something that is very impressive.
Damyean Dotson was terrific in both games against USC and UCLA.
- [link url="http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/notebookweeklywatch130120/pick-n-roll"]ESPN.com's Andy Katz says Oregon's team was worthy of mention in his weekly recap article for ESPN's weekly watch. Katz says Oregon's wins over Arizona and UCLA should also place Oregon in the driver seat in the Pac-12.
Oregon is a clear No.2 now. Brennan cites Oregon's win over the Bruins was in large part because of Oregon's defense that held the Bruins to just 0.93 points per possession.
- ESPN.com's Peter Yoon spoke with UCLA's Travis Wear who says Oregon is "...a really good team. They've got all the pieces of a championship-level team. I'd say everyone is probably chasing them right now."
-[link url="http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/top25"]CBSSports.com's Top-25 and one poll has Oregon sitting at No. 19 after their sweep of the LA schools. They were previously No. 25.
Already have an account? Sign In